Apron glued up

Despite the lack of updates, I’ve been working on the new bench pretty consistently. Since last time, I’ve finished up both leg assemblies, drilled a hole for the vise clamp and drilled out the mortise for the parallel guide. All that took about a week of two hour nights.

A few nights ago, I took on flattening the inside of both aprons. They’re 11″ x 7 1/2′ boards, so it’s no small task.

Pretty cross grain shavings

Lots and lots and lots of cross grain shavings later, I had a great workout and I had a couple flattish aprons. There’s a bit of cup in one apron that I’m not going to pull out, it would thin out the board too much, and I had a hunch I could clamp it out when I attached the aprons to the leg assemblies. Which, brings us to the last couple nights. Now that the last apron is in glue, I can look forward to ripping the top pieces down to width, flattening them out and attaching them to the bench.

Oh, and I have to figure out how to get the new bench off my current bench. It’s … heavy.

A celebratory beverage
Advertisements

1 thought on “Legs Complete, Aprons in Glue

  1. Nice going, Ben. That bench is really taking shape. I can’t wait to see how you like it when I’m in Saratoga in a few weeks.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: